Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Eighteenth

Can you believe summer is already half over? My poor TO-DO list has suffered some neglect, brought on by allot of business and a little procrastination. What can I say... except I hate to be busy! The small minutes that I get to myself I want to do nothing with. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

My family has spent most of the last weeks going off on this job or that activity. We haven't spent much time together as a family. (We haven't had much sleep either.)
So last night when my husband got home and mentioned he was "eating dinner and going to bed" I couldn't believe my ears! NO paperwork, NO phone calls, NO unloading the truck, NO running for parts?? The kids used this opportunity to dash off to the safety of their bedrooms before dad could change his mind, or find something that needed doing, and I started gathering bath stuff for my "escape".

Seconds after my husband climbed into bed we could hear him snoring. That tells you how tired he really was! Then a funny thing happened... my son brushed his teeth, put the dog out, and told me good night! Then my daughter brushed her teeth, fed the cats, and told me goodnight! For a minute I stood in the hallway dumbfounded and debating. I was tired, but this was a golden opportunity for a very long, very relaxing bath with a book, facial mask, and bubbles! I could almost hear my heart beating in the quiet of my house. I stood there and stood there. Then I peeked into my room and looked at my husband sleeping, and made up my mind.

I brushed my teeth, changed into my ratty P.J's (how come the most comfortable things to wear look the worst?) and climbed into bed. Even in sleep my husband scooted to his side of the bed, I tucked in one cat and confiscated my pillow from the other one, and snuggled down to sleep. While drifting off to the sound of Jim Dale reading Harry Potter my husband whispered, "goodnight love". I answered, "hope you remembered to set your alarm!" After all, I really wanted my bath!!!

"A family is a unit composed not only of children but of men, women, an occasional animal, and the common cold."

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a wife by choice, mother by chance, massage therapist by trade, and saved by grace.