Wednesday, May 12, 2010


Well, yesterday was a bummer to say the least. No transplant. Lots of tears. A grateful heart, and another day to hope. Here's what happened...

Monday night my husband sat at dialysis thinking this was the last treatment. A friend of his there told him, "this relationship is over, I don't want to see you here anymore!" These two crack me up. My husband has been friends with this man ever since he started dialysis 10 years ago. (friend has been going for 17 years)
Anyway, when my husband got home he couldn't sleep. We stayed up for a time talking about how different life was going to be after surgery. Our kids don't remember life before dialysis, What would our first friday night activity be? How soon would he notice a change in how he felt? and of course, all the things that could go wrong. I went to bed at 1:00 a.m. My husband joined me at 3:00 a.m.

Bright and early (6:30) we were at the hospital checking in. I said a quick prayer for God to please keep his hands strong around my husband, that no matter what, he would be safe and healthy. Sister (doner) went back first to prep for surgery and we waited for my mother-in-law and sister-in-law to get there. At 9:00 we went back to sit with sis until it was my husband's turn to get ready. While sitting there talking, waiting for the meds to be brought up, sis's doctor comes in and says, "ummm, while looking over your CT scan (FROM JANUARY) it seems we missed something..." then he begins to tell us that when sis went in to be tested as a potential doner a problem with the arteries leading to the kidneys was discovered. No one can tell us why there was no mention of this at the time, but MAN WHAT A LET DOWN! No surgery this day. Sis was crying, my husband was crying, mom-in-law was crying, and sis's friend was yelling and cussing! I left.

I sat in the waiting room, made phone calls, and gave a quick prayer of thanks that the problem was found before any cuts were made!!!! Sure I was upset, but I was more relieved. Things would have been devistating if surgery would have went as planned and the problem dicovered while they were on the table.

A little while later my husband came to find me. The doc's had ordered another test to see if sis could still donate and she had been taken to another floor. We sat down and husband made a call to the dialysis office to let them know he would be comming in tomarrow. At 3:00 p.m. sis's tests were done. Doctor from hospital says "no transplant". And we all go home.

At home, we get a call from the social worker at dialysis, she has put in a call to get husband back on the doner list. We get calls from family and friends. We mope about with the kids and go rent a movie. Nothing has really changed for us. We will keep hoping for a healthy kidney. In the meantime... We are so thankful for the money that's in our account to cover expenses when the transplant comes, we are so grateful for friends and family who have helped out, and we are trusting the Lord to keep us healthy, and know His timing is perfect!

When it's right it will happen.

"The things of God are understood by the spirit of God."


  1. You are amazing. Things worked out the way they did for a reason. Our prayers are with you always.

  2. Amber- we hadnt heard yet, I am sad to hear the news, Keep your chin up, keep saying your prayers, We are thinking of you! Love you guys!

  3. I was thinking about you yesterday a lot do you need some talk time and maybe some hugs let me know. Sorry things didn't go JUST like planned the Lord has different plans!!


About Me

My photo
I am a wife by choice, mother by chance, massage therapist by trade, and saved by grace.